One year ago, I rekindled an old flame. This love was dormant for many years. Every so often I'd come in contact, or have a flashback, but nothing that I acted upon. Nothing until last August after my doctor told me that if I didn't drop at least 50lbs I'd die. So I sought after this old love of mine, hoping that she'd take me back after years of neglect.
"Would she even recognize me?"
"Am I even worthy to see and be with her again?"
"Could we ever have what we once had?"
"How can I let her know that this is not just a phase I'm going through?"
I was full of apprehension, but I had to go through with it. I decided to make three mornings a week my basketball commitment. The Goddess of Basketball accepted me back. It worked for about 8 months, I felt like I was 17 again, I was good to the game and she was good to me too. Then the summer months came, my crews started earlier, and in turn, so did I. I missed almost the whole month of July but figured August would be a good time to get back together with her. She had to know that a man's got work right? Sure enough Monday I made it out, and I thought she took me back, until the forth or fifth time up the court I stepped on another guys foot and rolled my left ankle. Noooooooooo! "I didn't mean to leave you for that long, please don't do this to me!" The basketball goddess knows my one weakness, my left ankle. Let me expound:
"How can I let her know that this is not just a phase I'm going through?"
I was full of apprehension, but I had to go through with it. I decided to make three mornings a week my basketball commitment. The Goddess of Basketball accepted me back. It worked for about 8 months, I felt like I was 17 again, I was good to the game and she was good to me too. Then the summer months came, my crews started earlier, and in turn, so did I. I missed almost the whole month of July but figured August would be a good time to get back together with her. She had to know that a man's got work right? Sure enough Monday I made it out, and I thought she took me back, until the forth or fifth time up the court I stepped on another guys foot and rolled my left ankle. Noooooooooo! "I didn't mean to leave you for that long, please don't do this to me!" The basketball goddess knows my one weakness, my left ankle. Let me expound:
A textbook stance to defend the inbound pass.
- It was my sophomore year when I first injured it, I tore ligaments and tendons enough to require season ending surgery. I still contend that this injury kept me out of the NBA, no question about it. I think the goddess was testing my love for her.
- Then my senior year I re-injured it in a church basketball game. I sprained it, and it had to go back in a cast.
- Two years ago, same ankle, I had a sore that wouldn't go away, it got so bad that I was forced to see a doctor. Turned out to be a staph infection. I got proper treatment but it left a new nasty scar on my 'action ankle'. I haven't found a good link betwwen this and the basketball goddess, but I have not ruled her out either.
- Now I've strained or sprained, (the doctor mumbled), the ligaments again. I'm in a boot for two weeks.
Man, I was just getting my game tuned up for the NBA season this fall, this will definitely set me back a little. My love for her game does not fade. I will be back and stronger because of it.
"Love Hurts"



5 comments:
Just sittin' back, trying to recapture a little of the glory of. But when time slips away, leaves you with nothing mister, but boring stories of.... GLORY DAYS
- Bruce Springsteen
funny, funny!
So Uncle Rico, is that Rachel sitting in the bleechers in he cheer outfit? Great bb picture of you. Sorry to hear about your foot.
Do you mean my 'soul mate'?
I am a regular of Dave's blogs and I happened upon your link there. This is probably against blog etiquette, but when you mentioned the need to lose 50lbs., I wanted to tell you about Isagenix. I lost about 20 lbs., so I am right around 200ish now, and I have been able to keep the weight off for over 1 year. If you want some more info, shoot me an email--scott.thompson@investools.com.
My parents live in Glendale now.
Post a Comment