10 years ago
Monday, August 11, 2008
Teach Your Children Well.
If your state flag awareness is less than sharp you my not notice that the flag flying underneath Old Glory is the Arizona state flag, upside-down. This caught my eye last week as I was going to Meet the Teacher Night at our children's elementary school. I gave the flag hoisters a 'pass' figuring that it was new school year jitters or something. Well it's been a week now. I thought that maybe it was done by a helpful student who just got a little confused. When I got home I asked my sixth grade son who is on the student council if he might know who raises the flag each day, (silently praying that it was not him), he said he was not sure who does it. I'm pretty sure if it was a student, he'd know.
So, What could it be? I know that the U.S. flag flown upside-down is a sign of distress or protest. Could that be a political statement made by the school? I'm being facetious now, but it looks less than stellar, to say the least.
I may be taking this a little far but I'm somewhere between finding humor and being concerned. It's tough when I see a flag flying upside-down coupled with marquee with phrases like,"Have a Great Sumer" or "Pizza Nite", ('Nite' kills me. It's just one more letter to spell it right. I'd like the marquee at the place where my kids are learning how to spell to be spelled rite, er, uh, I mean right.). What is a dad to think?
I like the school, but the devil is in the details. It looks like I'll be making a courtesy call to the school in the morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
OK, you have to post a follow-up. (BTW, I am no state flag afficionado but I noticed the upside-down flag right off.)
I could not agree with you more. If I am not mistaken Rachel had to call and correct the marquee last year. Go get em. (I mean them.)
off the subject, but I tagged you on my blog
what does that mean, 'tagged'?
I'm waiting for your follow up post.
Post a Comment