If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Friday, August 1, 2008

Like I just invented the wheel.

I try not to be wasteful. When it rains out here I will usually go outside and hose down my driveway and walkways. Most people don't know what to make of this but I just like to take advantage of the free pre-wet, and the dirt runs all the way down the street aided by natural water, not my water.

My kids are funny because they think if a box is almost empty that gives them the right to open a fresh box. The cupboard is full of almost empty boxes of cereal! Well the way I see it is, if it's a full box they want then I will give it to them by doing what I call 'cereal consolidation'. All of the partials go into one box. No waste. The same thing goes for ketchup and barbecue sauce too. Maybe it's a weird quirk, but I could think of worse quirks.

Monday I had a breakthrough in shower thriftiness. I hate when the soap gets too thin and small that it fits into the natural kerf of my palm and still does not touch my skin. What to do with this little sliver of cleanliness? Throw it away? Never! Set it in the shower and eventually Rachel will throw it away? Inconsiderate, and never! Drop it on the drain and mash it through the grates with my foot? It never really goes down, it plugs the drain until it's dissolved, and still never! All these options seemed wasteful! So as I said, the other day I was up against this dilemma, I set the sliver in the soap holder and got a new bar, when I was done I set the new bar in the soap holder on top of the old one. Then it came to me: press the new soap onto the old soap. Eureka!!! No more wasted soap slivers! What a relief!

2 comments:

Stephen A. Hixon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

genius.