If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Recapturing a moment

When our family was little I did a lot of extra fun stuff with the kids. I may have been motivated by a lot of different things:
  • I love them. That seems simple enough.
  • I traveled a lot so I felt I had to make every minute with them monumental, or at least memorable
  • I was 10 years younger. I have always loathed when men say, "I could have done it ten years ago" but gosh, I get tired now.
  • When they were all little, everything we did was catered to them. The whole family could play 'glue machine' or 'dog pile'. Jake and Hannah just don't get into those games anymore.

I get a little sad when I think that Lauren and Cal don't know what 'movie night' is. They don't know because the whole family cannot agree on the same flick anymore. Heck, last night we took the kids to the movies and we almost divided the family into pairs to see four different movies! We settled on two, still a bit unsettling to me.

Well tonight Jake was primping himself for the stake dance, Hannah was pouting because she is not old enough to go, and Chippy was nursing an ear ache. That left Simon, Lauren, and Calvin with me and a large cardboard tube. So we played a game that included them running around me without getting popped with the tube. Calvin laughed harder than I had ever heard before. That morphed into 'glue and tickle machine'. We played for over an hour. I had so much fun with my babies. I hope I can make more time for this type of stuff more often.

No comments: