If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Life is getting in the way of life, again.

Back in January Rachel and I were making our summer travel plans. We let last summer get by us without making a trip and I didn't want that to happen again. So we reserved a campsite on the coast, and figured that we were also tying a Santa Barbara trip onto a long weekend, so maybe that would do. As the year turned to Spring I got busier and busier at work. Busy is a good thing. I also felt that we were six weeks away from a lull, so I didn't fret too much about this fevered pitch we were working at.

this is another excavation that kept me busy this spring

Well, we did take the kids out to my folks, and took a week to do the 'trek', but our beach camping trip was shot. For that matter the whole month of June was shot. I still figured I'd take a week in July and go do something. This morning I realized that we have two weeks left in July, July is looking a lot like June. I cannot see myself missing even one day of work. The balance of my accrued vacation pay expires on my employment anniversary, July 28th. So I filled out the form to 'cash out' my remaining vacation pay. What a bummer.

Before the end of the year I will be taking Lauren and Calvin to Disneyland, the other kids will come too, of course. I also have Rachel looking into a New York trip for the fall. Everything will settle down by then, right?

I managed to take my boys on a Father and Sons outing in May, one of my annual highlights.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

No sweat. We do our best vacations in the fall and winter anyhow.