I know that the most people use the new year as an opportunity to start anew, resolve to be better, make course corrections and things like that. For me New Years day is the exact opposite, it is more like Fat Tuesday. Let me explain my day:
9:00am- I roll out of bed and stumble downstairs. Turn on the TV and tune into the Outback Bowl. Go to cupboard and grab a poptart.
9:45ish-Lauren comes down. I tell her to eat cookies when she asks me for breakfast. I flip back and forth between the Rose parade and the game, for traditions' sake.
10:30ish- Gator Bowl Starts. I grab a cheese platter left over from last night, find some crackers and flip between the two games.
some time thereafter- Rachel brings me a plate of eggs and biscuits and gravy. Have I have died and gone to heaven!?
A little while later- Auburn won their game and the next one starts. I marvel at the dove tailing between the games. I always have two to flip between.
A bit later- time for some little smokey treats and ginger ale. As I get into fridge I notice there is a couple of swallows of chocolate milk in the way of the the ale, That was no match for me. I finish that off, easy.
A little later still- Simon comes in and sits with me asking if we could pretend Penn State, the next game, was USC so he could want to watch. He's funny, but it didn't' work, he lost interest.
A jiffy later- All this sitting around has made me hungry. Leftover ceviche and chocolate cake from last night should the trick...somebody needs to stop me.
After the the Capitol One game but before the Rose Bowl- The dovetailing of football games has been breached! I hit the kitchen. I made little smokie crescent rolls, for the kids of course. I only had a couple...and more cake.
moments before the Rose Bowl- settle in for another Pac 10 beat down on the Big 10.
just before halftime- Rachel's patience and benevolence wears thin. She did her best for all day not to say anything about the sloth and gluttony, but enough was enough.
mid way throu the second half- Oregons offense looks terrible. Reality begining to set back in. I start cleaning up while I watch.
end of game- Oregon let me down. I look out the window and notice that the sun had almost set on this day.
5:45pm- get back to work cleaning.
6:30pm- make the kids dinner. find Rolaids for myself.
7:30pm- settle in for the Sugar Bowl, game gets boring. Shut it off and find the kids.
This is not who I am, but for one day a year I feel some kind of year end, holiday/party end, release that makes me do crazy things.
I have put it past me now. Happy New Year.
10 years ago

2 comments:
I am so glad this is not the norm. It would be our demise.
Ok, this is making me sick. Mostly because I have been eating like this for the last few days. I guess that is what is really making me sick.
Post a Comment