A few years ago President Hinckley used a tree in an analogy for raising children. I loved how he talked about using wires and stakes to keep it straight and true as nature acted against it. And how it needed the support until it was strong enough to withstand the winds and rain on its own.
I am not an arborist but I am a homeowner. I have dozens of trees trees in my yard and around my house. As our house is only six years old and the trees were put in at that time, they aren't very old. I have a desert willow in the front yard that I have given more attention to than the others. The landscapers planted it in the wrong place. At that time it's trunk was only about 2 inches in diameter and it's small roots easily fit into a wheel barrow so I moved it myself. I gave it extra support, just like the prophet had said and made sure it was getting plenty of water. Much to my amazement and satisfaction the tree began to grow and flourish there!
About a year of nurturing passed and the tree was doing well. Then during monsoon season a storm blew in. The combination of rain saturated ground and high winds blew my little tree over. How could this happen? I did everything I thought I was supposed to do for the tree, and it still fell down. After the storm passed I decided to get that tree upright again.
As I was standing the tree up I noticed the root system was much the same as when I moved it originally but the trunk and branches were nearly double the size. "Well there's your problem" I thought to myself. But what is the solution? Bigger, stronger roots. I thought I'd try watering it less so it would have to work and find water. My hope was that it would seek deep in the earth for moisture. I actually stopped watering it altogether.
Soon, the guy wires and stakes were removed. That tree began to get bigger and bigger. Now five years later it has grown taller than our house. The trunk is about 10" in diameter. It is a bona-fide tree. It provides plenty of shade and I still look at it now and then and marvel a bit.
This week we had a a series of storms blow through. All of them bringing a decent amount of rain. After a few days of appreciable rainfall, the winds picked up. There was even a tornado warning issued. This weather is quite uncommon and caused me some concern. The high winds blowing in from the south was forcing this tree right into the house. I watched it for a few minutes. It's trunk rocked back and forth as the wind howled through it's branches.
Did I do enough to prevent it from falling? What do I do now? What can I do now? I decided to do an emergency prune. I cut one of it's larger branches off. I cut it off at the side opposite the wind so that it's weight would be leaning into the storm. I didn't want to, but I felt like I had to.
The storms have passed now. The tree survived and another lesson is learned.
I learned that if our kids are trees it is important that we heed the counsel of our past prophet and provide stability and support until they can stand on their own. I would add that at some point we need to stop providing them with easy nourishment. At some point they need to work for, and seek after the water that Christ provides. That is the only way they will be able to withstand the storms of doubt and discouragement that the devil sends. They must seek far and deep and find that source that will strenghten their roots and give life to their branches.
I feel like I am having to let my oldest son find his own water now. Just like with my tree I will keep a close eye on him. If I see wilting or a lack of growth, then I may give him another watering. If the situation arises, I still reserve the right to 'prune'. But my prayer is to see him flourish and become more grounded.
10 years ago

1 comment:
This is Ensign material that ought to be shared with the entire readership. Go for it!
Post a Comment