If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Monday, February 21, 2011

Spelling Test

While my Lauren was preparing her Valentines for the kids in her class she asked me how to spell one of the kids name. I don’t remember what name it was but after I spelled it she giggled and told me I was wrong. She dug into her backpack and found her class list. She told me the correct spelling. When I say ‘correct’ I mean the spelling that her parents used when they were filling out her birth certificate, (while highly inebriated, I suppose). It was not correct by my standards’ or by traditional, Americana spelling, that was for sure. She proceeded to give me an impromptu spelling test. She would say the name, I would give the traditional spelling she would tell me I was wrong, then squeal and give me the ‘correct’ spelling. The trend seems to go with some phonetic variation and swap y's or ee's and other such silliness. And so it went. I think I got two girls right, one of which was Lauren, and about a third of the boys names right. (Jaxon instead of Jackson is not cute but a cruel joke to play on your kid.)



I'm sure it seemed cute at the time, but as these alternately spelled name kids grow up it might become a little annoying to always have to spell your name for people. I speak with a little experience as my parents chose biblical spelling of my name, but most of the heathens spell it Steven. It has become second nature to say, "It's Stephen with a 'p-h', and Hixon with an 'x', like Nixon.”



So good luck M'kennzee S., Ryleigh R., and the others; It will be rare when you name is spelled right, learn patience and tolerance.

2 comments:

AJ Curtis said...

I love this story. I've even seen a name of Jaxxxen -- because the Triple-X makes it so much classier.

Cindy said...

i love you ! and your thoughts! you are the best!