If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Perspective.

Today Hannah turns 15. Last night I was waxing nostalgic with my sweet daughter, wishing she could stop growing up and just stay my little girl forever. She looked at me and said, "Dad, face it, in five years I'm going to be twenty."


Oh no!! How could that be? Where have the days gone? Five years from now seems way too close. 2005 seemed like a few blinks of the eye ago! Panic set in.

I began to think a little and I reflected back and realized that I've been telling Hannah, (and her siblings), to stop growing or even 'reverse grow' for years now. If I meant it then and I mean it now, then the truth is I love that girl no matter her age. I think I love her now more than ever. So instead of longing for what was, I am excited for what is to come. The panic was replaced with peace.

What a wonderful thing it is to gain a new perspective on life!


Precious.

1 comment:

David said...

in 10 months my girl turns 20 - it's all good. I'm glad to know her at 19; she's a kick. You're right about the peace.