If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pass the Mint Jelly, Please

It has been a long running joke in my family that in my parent’s refrigerator there is a jar of mint jelly. I believe it has been there since the Nixon administration. It was brought out whenever my mom made a leg of lamb. I can remember eating lamb twice, the last time was 1985. From these few early encounters this is how I feel about lamb: Smells like beef, looks like beef, tastes like dog food.


As the years unfolded I have wondered if I needed to give lamb another chance. I have seen it prepared and featured in some very upscale restaurants, but I could not shake the dog food stigma…until today.

Of all places I was at a pit barbeque restaurant for lunch. As an aspiring Pit Master I usually go for the combo plate so I can sample a few different meats. A new feature on the menu was none else but smoked lamb.

The word smoked is the ultimate deal maker for me. Smoked sausage, smoked salmon, smoked cheese, heck I even buy the smoked almonds! Smoked anything is better than it's non-smoked counterpart.

So, of course, take the risk and I get the lamb. I balance it out with safe brisket. It came with barbeque sauce and a curious little green relish. Pesto? That seemed odd. Pickle relish? Maybe, so I give it a waft. It was not pickle relish, it was mint relish. MINT relish? No way, no how!

I tried the lamb, and it was not bad...for dog food. Smoked dog food. I was a little disappointed. I hoped my taste buds had matured, but they had not. Now that little cup of minty green relish intrigued me. Maybe this is the missing link! Perhaps this is the perfect compliment that masks the dog food flavor and accentuates the beef flavor. So I go for it. I spread it on a fork-sized piece of lamb and pop it into my mouth.

What do you know... mint flavored, smoked, dog food. Oh well, I tried it.

3 comments:

David said...

That is so funny. I couldn't agree with you more on the taste of lamb or the allure of "smoked."

Cindy said...

THANK YOU for speaking the truth!!!

jamie hixon said...

Lamb is gross. I completely agree. Maybe mint jelly would be good with something else.