If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dr. Dad

I'm not a doctor. I have never had any aspirations to do anything in the medical field. I'm not a blood and guts guy. I don't even like getting shots. It's just not my thing. Through the years I have had to administer first aid and on a few occasions, some of the scenes would have been rated "M" for graphic blood, that does not bother me. I think it's the procedure or surgery that is hard for me to hack. You are planning on cutting or poking me? No thanks. Albeit I am thankful for medical advancement, modern medicine and the good people who's passion it is to help mankind in that way.

Parenthood lends itself to plenty of opportunities for first aid, no problem. The tough part is the occasional minor medical procedures, I'd pass if I could, but most of the time I cannot. I have been procrastinating the dental 'procedure' of pulling my 5 year old daughter's tooth. The tooth has been dead for a while now and the gum has started receding, so it needed to go. My dentist, who also happens to be one of my best friends, advised my wife that it would be better if he did not pull it as to not create negative dental trauma. (Whatever.). So, trusting his professional and personal judgement, I made a promise to myself that I would do it before the end of the week.

Sunday afternoon came too quick. I semi stressed for a few hours trying to find the opportune time to break my little girls heart. Then at 7pm I had her on my lap and told her that I needed to pull the 'down tooth' (her term), out. Surprisingly she was calm, she told me that she would like to do it herself. Perfect! I was so vulnerable that I didn't see this as a stall tactic. Then she said she needed to look in the mirror to do it...by herself. "Sure sweetheart, whatever you need." After an hour I wised up. I approached her and then she became hysterical. This is not what I wanted. I talked for a while, explaining things like the 8:30pm cut-off for tooth fairy same night pick-up, magical teeth pulling tools, famous one-fingered-wiggle dance, nothing was working. I believe it was 9:30 when I had Rachel hold her arms down, and I when in got a good grip of the little pincer I pulled. (wincing) I felt a tiny 'pop', and it was out.

She cried for a minute, then we both gave a sigh of relief. We congratulated each other for our valor and courage. Then I put her to bed. She is so precious.

The tooth fairy came and almost gave her all the cash he had in his wallet, but cooler heads prevailed and gave her market value.

The next day Lauren was talking to Simon and very lugubriously said, "Simon, it hurt so bad I screamed...to....death!"

So all things considered, it was a good experience.

the tooth.

2 comments:

jamie hixon said...

I don't envy what you had to do.
That is a gross tooth.

Sara said...

you are such a sweet daddy.

i, also, will never forget the first aid you offered my keaton...you are a sweet brother and uncle, too.