If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Friday, September 5, 2008

Today's Success

I've heard alot about the power of suggestion, and the power of positive thinking. It is more productive to focus on the positive. The other day Rachel was telling me something that she had heard about teaching do's so the mind can visualize that action, and put it into practice. (There was more to it, but that was the jest) So the converse should be true right? If you say don't the mind will visualize the don't, planting a 'bad seed', so to speak.

Now, I got a new truck about two months ago. I miss my old truck, but that's not important right now. My new truck is fine, but I have had a problem with refueling. I am not smart enough to figure out why, but when I go to refuel the pump shuts off after a gallon, and about every gallon thereafter, how annoying! I guess the gas is pumping too quick and is getting backed up in the tube that goes to the tank and it shuts the nozzle off. I've done everything I can think of to try to make it work better, I can't figure it out.

Long set up I know, but what do those two thoughts have to do with each other? Well, the other day as I'm finessing fuel into my truck grinding my teeth and knowing that this aggravation is taking precious years off of my life, I happened upon a placard on the gas pump that discouraged 'topping off'. It was a picture of the proper position the nozzle should be placed into the fuel receptacle. It also showed a picture of an improper way to fuel with the warning that it was dangerous.

This is a sweet don't.


So I thought to myself, "It could only be dangerous because it must make the topping off shut off device thingy in the nozzle not work. Mine works too much, so why not counteract?" I did it despite my cautious nature and it works perfectly, no more problems at the pump. (I guess I'll make a mental note to not 'toke up' while I'm refueling in such a haphazard manner). This mini feat of success is on the heels if me doing what a picture showed me what not to do! HA! I love it when I am in the positive end of irony!

2 comments:

David said...

Great story. Yeah, don't toke up.

Logan said...

Genius!! Nice work.