I have seen many a'rock in my day. If the average Joe has seen millions of rocks, than I have seen billions. I have been in the drilling and excavating business for nearly seventeen years!! One day about three years ago as I was walking on a job site I looked down and saw a heart shaped rock. I had never seen one before, so I snatched it up off the ground and put it in my pocket. Then my mind wandered a bit to thoughts of the warm, joyous embrace that soon would be mine when I returned home and gave this special, one in one billion heart shaped rock the woman who has my heart. Ah, how romantic I am!
That evening was family night so I thought I'd parlay this into my share. When I start my share with, "So today at work I got something," The kids usually complete my sentence with, "a new quarter." But I not this time. Romeo removed from his pocket his amorous piece of aggregate. I looked over to my wife to present it to her. I didn’t get swooned like I had imagined. Instead I got, "I don't want that dirty rock in my house."
What? Where was the enamored reciprocation of affection? It was as if ice cold water was being poured on my heart. Just as my heart was about to break, the response came.
It did not come from my sweet wife, but my sweet three year old daughter. "Oh Daddy it's beautiful! Can I please have it?" My heart re-warmed. "Of course you can have it sweetheart, I got it for you!" She giggled as she took it and held it close to her heart.
That night was the start of something. The next day when I pulled into the drive my sweet little girl met me and greeted me with a big hug and asked, "What did you brought me for, Daddy".
What did I brought her for? What did I brought her for? I am a quick thinker so I pulled out of my pocket a piece of gum and with all the hype one could build gum up to be I gave it to her. She was just a thrilled with that as the rock for the day before. This became a ritual. Now, years later, it still continues. It may not be everyday, but at least three days a week she meets me at my truck and just as giddy as she was years ago asks if I brought her anything for her.
I cannot decide whether or not it's healthy, but it is fun to see her light up and get so excited over a gel pen, or a magnet, or a paper weight. So I guess I'll keep doing it.
The actual heart shaped rock. Cool huh?


5 comments:
very cool....you are very cool too!
Rachel's reaction was very Kara-istic. Lo's reaction = awesome.
That is awesome! If Dan brought me that rock, I would frame it. Not to put down Rachel's response, I just think it is rad.
I don't want that dirty rock in my house, Deh.
hahahahahahahahahaha
I reject this depiction of my response.
Post a Comment