My crew and I have migrated to Bakersfield, Ca. With family so close it seemed appropriate that I should pay them a visit. As I was driving I was trying to think of the last time I was with just my mom and dad. Being number 8 of 10, and with in-laws and grandkids and life happening faster than expected, there is not a ton of personal time. I may be wrong, but I think the last time the three of us were together for longer that an hour was back in the eighties. So we were due.
I had a wonderful time. Sure it was not just the tree of us the whole time, Jeffery would pop in every once in a while, but I was very much relishing in the moment.
My parents are fun to be with. When I got there my Dad gave me some lunch options, peanut butter and jelly, mackerel sandwiches, or fresh local crab down at the wharf. I picked crab. He knows that I love shell fish and cannot even look upon such things in their unfresh condition back in AZ. So we had an enjoyable crab lunch with my Dad and both my Moms, Maureen and Ocean.
We got home in just enough time to take in The Big Game. This year Stanford had something more than pride to play for…but their ‘Luck’ ran out. Oh well, Dad still shard some old Stanford memories and it was still fun. Then what to good parents do? Watch another football game with their son. That’s right two games in the same day. I also had some classic Larry cuisine for dinner: Grilled salmon and Swiss cheese sandwiches and chili. My dad has three basic food groups: fish, cheese and chili. In my opinion it was just as good as the crab.
Sunday was beyond surreal; I got up and got dressed about an hour and a half before church. I looked at the clock and was not sure what to do with myself. I usually get ready early so I can get kids ready, set up chairs, do fast offerings, or something. I felt a little sad and useless. I did get some study time in, which made the time pass. After church I helped my Mom make dinner for the missionaries. After dinner then I packed up my things an headed back to work.
While I was driving back I as full of gratitude for such wonderful people I have for parents. I had an added measure of urgency to get back to my sweetheart and the kids that need me to pass on this love and affection and attention to.
Just a couple more days…
10 years ago

3 comments:
loved the stories. you always make me smile.
three food groups! hehee
you forgot Mac and Cheese!
Post a Comment