If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Score One More for the Golden State

I am in California this week getting a job started. I love California. Three generations before me farmed, cleared, and were raised in rural parts of this state. Some of those places like Whitter, Riverside, Fullerton and Escondido are not so rural anymore. However here in Hanford, Lemoore, and Selma it seems like time has not changed much in 50 or so years. I think it's cool. Not as cool as all the nice things I have back in Arizona, but cool.

Today I was reminded of one of the real jems of the Central Valley and the Central Coast. It is called Orchard Hardware Supply or OSH for short. When I used to work on the coast this was my store; if I needed it they had it. Much like the mandatory Tommy's stop whenever I'm in Southern California, when I happen upon an OSH I've gotta stop to take in the nostalgia and goodness of a well stocked 'ma and pa' hardware store. A trip to OSH makes you hate Home Depot. It is such a cool store. Hanford, Ca has one. The whole state of Arizona has none.

Long live OSH.

No comments: