I went up to Scout Camp this year. I had a great time. I have the best job in all of the church. I kept a little journal; I am going to transcribe it here on the blog.
Monday
10:45pm-
I have got to connect with these boys. I need to figure out how to extend myself so they trust me. Somehow I need to show them the love I have for them.
Tuesday
11:15pm-
I got up at 4:30 this morning. I have been walking up and down hills all over this camp trying to keep track of these boys. I figure I have walked over 4 miles today. I also swam an 1/8 mile in preparation for a mile swim. I am tired. Tomorrow seems looks like it will be about the same thing. My pockets are full of little scraps of trash, too tired to empty them. I’m going to bed.
Wednesday
8:30am-
I woke up at 4:45 to get ready for the polar bear swim and KP duty. (Our troop has to take a turn in the kitchen and ours was this morning’s breakfast.) Last night I pulled each boy aside and told them what I expected of them. They needed to stay awake after I left, wake up the other Dad, clean up camp, and be at the mess hall by 6am in full uniform.
So I left our campsite in the care of one of the dads who came up and the less motivated boys while I took the “go-get-ers” to the pool. Ten minutes to six one of the boys asked if me should go back to camp to check on the boys. I told him that they would be there and not to worry. (Worrying is my job, after all.). We waited. Then two minutes to six, I saw them coming, in full uniform, just like I had asked. Awesome.
Now, I made it back to camp and it looks outstanding. I am tickled at what a great job these boys did. Bless their hearts. I really believe they want to be responsible and accountable. They are awesome.
I prayed hard last night. It has been a while since I have, “poured out my whole heart” to the Lord. I prayed for my loved ones. Naturally I started with my sweet Rachel, then the kids. I prayed for my scouts, one by one. Then I prayed for the other leaders, and my daughters leaders, and on and on. I was so grateful for all of the good people in my life. Peace came over me and I realized that is how all my prayers should be. It was time to forget myself and get to work. It was very inspiring.
10:45pm-
Jim came back, what a relief. I don’t know about what he thinks, but I think we make a good team. Gosh, I like that guy. I had a few Mike Brady ‘pearls of wisdom’ moments with some of the boys today.
Story 1: During KP duty this morning, our Senior Patrol Leader was doing his best to look like he was doing work, but fooling no one but himself. I pulled him aside and explained that the best way to earn respect is to out work everyone, not out smart everyone. When you have their respect then you will have their ear, then when they believe you, you will have their heart. It seemed liked he listened.
Story 2: I talked three of the boys into doing the mile swim with me. We condition everyday, doubling the length until on Friday we swim one mile. Yesterday we swam 1/8 mile, today ¼ mile. Before the swim I told the boys what seemed hard yesterday will be easy today. After the swim one of the boys, my son Chip, came over to me and told me I was right. We talked for a bit about how with experience things that seem hard become easy. I told him that his mom and I have been through all of his hard tomorrows and we want to help and guide him through those tough tomorrows of his life. We talked about the Atonement, and how through Jesus all of the things that seem hard will be made easy.
Story 3: We went to the Order of the Arrow tap out ceremony this evening, it ended with a little hike led by the OA. We were not to talk, and were asked not to use our flashlights. After the Scout law hike we headed back up to our camp site. Our newest scout, still so xcited about everything asked if it was alright to use his flashlight. I told him that he could if he wanted. He was so excited. As we headed up the trail I noticed how bright the moon was so I turned my flashlight off and enjoyed the moon lit trail. I called ahead to the new scout, he stopped and let me catch up with him. I told him to turn off is flash light. He was reluctant, but still so new and trusting, he did as I aksed. I showed him how bright everything became when we loose the man made light and use the all encompassing light that the Lord provides for us. I told him that man cannot compete with God; man’s inventions are no match for God’s creations. Sometimes we think we can do it our way or on our own, but growth and truth come when we exercise faith, loose our little light and rely on the Lord’s light.
It was a good day.
Thursday
10:45pm- On the downhill now. The boys are finishing merit badges, we are trying to let them do all the things they want to do. They are getting a little testy and short with each other; they might be learning that from me. All in all, it was a good day. I an starting to excited about going home.
Friday
5:45am-No polar bear swim today. This gave me time to study and ponder, I wish I could make this a habit when I get home.
11:00pm- Great last day of Camp! All the boys got their merit badges complete. We completed the mile swim today. I was impressed with those boys’ determination. Most of all, my son for staying with me lap for lap. We spent some time hacky sacking and hanging out. At dinner it was our troops’ turn to be the honor guard and retire the colors. They did me proud showing such reverence and respect up there.
The highlight of the evening and the camp was what happened after dinner but before the closing ceremony. Let me explain.
Scoutmaster Jim is a detail guy and a good planner. (I, on the other hand, am a ‘big picture’ guy who procrastinates and shoots from the hip.) It was earlier that morning that Jim told me that there was going to be two hours between the dinner and the campfire. He was pretty bent out of shape because he didn’t have anything planned; he usually has two or three back up plans to boot! It didn’t get to anxious because 7 hours seem like an eternity away for a guy like me. So, I told him not to worry about it and I would think of something. He was still unsettled, so I reassured him that I would come up with something that we could do. A little later he lamented and said he cannot believe that he missed this two hour window. I told him everything would work out and to trust me. He has trusted me in the past, so he let himself trust me again.
As I was thinking of something to do I took a different path through camp and it went right by an obstacle course. There was a C.O.P.E.(Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience) course on the far end. Right then I knew what we were going to fill that window of time with. So we did the Steve Hixon unofficial C.O.P.E. course.
The real highlight was the trust fall. I was so glad to be a part of it. There were a few surprises that I neither could, nor have been happier about. One of our boys is very unsure of himself. He does not think anyone likes him. I told him that if he could not trust them, then just trust me. He did it and was so happy to be caught by the boys that he welled up with tears. The boys were so encouraging. We have another boy who is not too active in the troop, shy and a little bit pudgy. Much to my surprise he got up there and with very little hesitation did the fall. Yes! The apex for me was the reflection. Of course the boys brought up team work, unity, trust, and overcoming fear, but what made my whole week was to hear my son say, “For me it was like faith. Falling backwards into arms that you know is there but can’t see them is like having faith in Jesus Christ even thought we cannot see him.”
I have walked for miles all over this camp. My legs are sore. I have been getting very little sleep. Sleep that comes by way of an insect and critter infested tent on a piece of plywood. I used a week of vacation time away from my wife and other kids. I herded boys from one thing to the next, listening to, “But Brother Hixon why……?”, and all of that seems to be a small price to pay to hear something like that. I am so blessed to have thins opportunity with my boy.
Later I personally reflected upon my fall. After being caught by these little boys and as they were letting my feet to the ground I had put my arms around two these young men that I love as I caught my balance. I hope that in my life I was faith sufficient so when I fall for this life to the next I will be greeted with the open arms of my Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ.


6 comments:
layered with reasons I love you!
proud to know you and call you "brother".
Brings back great memories I had with some other great boys, too. Thanks for sharing.
Mom says WOW!
the greatest...
Ensign Story - you could call "Why Scouting"
Post a Comment