If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Friday, October 17, 2008

My Day Off

At work we are uniquely trying to prepare for the slow down that is on the horizon by being frugal and thrifty all the while we are wasting money through inefficiencies due to being buried under too much work. It is frustrating. So frustrating that yesterday I got so fed up that I walked out of a management meeting telling the group that I was sick of this and I wasn't coming back tomorrow. That felt good to say so I thought it would be cool to try. I let my project managers, and some of my foreman know that they were on their own because I'm taking the day off.

So far, this is how my day off has gone:

4:00am- I woke up even after I purposely didn't set my alarm so I could sleep in, on my day off!

4:00-5:30- Layed in bed trying to convince myself to sleep, but really thinking about what needs to happen at work.

5:30- Get up and go out to my truck to get my phone so I can make some calls. I left it in my truck, because it was my day off, and I would not need it.

5:30-6:15- Make 5 phone calls.

6:15- Go back to bed to snuggle my little sweetheart.

6:15:03- My half asleep wife exclaims, "What are you doing?! Your arms are freezing! Leave me alone!"

6:15:05- 6:30- Layed in bed thinking about what needs to happen for work on Monday.

6:30- Went downstairs to grab my lap top so I can organize my Monday, but I will do it while I lay in bed, because it my day off.

6:30-7:00 - Attain a level of comfort by organizing my Monday schedule, check emails but don't respond because it's my day off!

7:00-7:30 - Layed in bed devising a plan to respond to my emails without compromising my day off.

7:30- now- Looking for ways to distract myself from work because it's my day off!

So far days off are harder than days on.

2 comments:

David said...

Total crack up. I often found that as stressful as work was, not solving the problems or meeting deadlines was even more stressful.

3 seconds? Kara would have revolted at less than 1.

Try to relax.

Rachel said...

Ok for the record I was the one up until midnight waiting for kids to get home while 'somebody' was slumbering peacefully. So being woke up at the crack of dawn by freezing cold hands warranted a more curs-ed response than I gave. Count your blessings buddy! BTW now that I am awake we are enjoying having you nome!