If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Friday, October 3, 2008

Take a knee, boys.

I've done a swell job for the past few years putting my kids on teams with people who have strong leadership skills and a decent competitive nature. This has helped me evade being a head coach. I love being the assistant; show up when you can, spout off cliches and one liners about hard work or the importance of practice, stuff like that.


I have three boys in sports. Jake is in high school, he has paid coaches now. All I do is show up and sit in the stands. Simon is on a fine flag football team coached and managed by men with the aforementioned qualities. Chip is playing fall basketball with four of the boys from his perennial winter team. Same coach too. I help out when needed. All is well, I thought.


Yesterday I received a call from Chip's coach informing me that he will be moving in two weeks. That put the heavy burden of head coach squarely on my shoulders. I feel like Shooter, the character played by Dennis Hopper in Hoosiers.




Shooter is one of my favorite coaches and I feel a list coming on,



My Favorite Coaches, real and fictitious, in no order:




John Wooden- does it get better than this? It may, keep reading.


Tommy Lasorda- I love the portly little Italian man's passion. Go Dodger Blue!


Morris Buttermaker (Water Mathau)- I loved his unconventional approach to youth sports.


Mike Leak (William Devane)- Nothing brings estranged fathers back to their sons like little league baseball.


Dave Marshall- My J.V. basketball coach. He had a big heart, and expected us to do our best. He also would tell me before games if I got tired let him know otherwise I was playing the whole game.


Chuck Warnick- Ward basketball coach. He personified cool under pressure with a simple head nod and a "Howdy".



Mr. Montgomery Burns- On one episode he assembled a company softball team..it is one of the best Simpson's ever.




Bill Yost & Herman Boone- Football coaches at T.C. Williams High School. I would have loved to play for these guys. I remember the Titans.


So tonight I will be coaching Chips team. I will keep these coaching influences in the forefront of my mind.

3 comments:

David said...

Great list. Did you haver a falling out with Pat R?

Stephen A. Hixon said...

Riles was an example of being in the right place at the right time. Six all stars, three hall of famers on his roster made it easy to win.

Sara said...

love the walter mathau one!