If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. ~ Isaac Newton

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Man Day

Rachel is gone on a girls outing this weekend. I really like having her home and with me but I guess the gal has gotta get out sometime. I decided to take Thursday and Friday off and try to be the world's greatest dad but despite my efforts the kids and I were done the that charade by Thursday evening. Friday seemed to be pretty busy taking care of mom type stuff. I was out of control, the kids and all their commitments were running me! What is that about! Please!

When I woke up Saturday morning I decided to take control and seize this day. I made the kids breakfast and during breakfast I laid out the ground rules. The rules are simple: You do all the work that I have assigned you then you can do what you want. I left the two olders in charge with very stern counsel to have significant progress by the I returned home from Simon's game. Simon and I left. Simon lost his game, he played well so I took him to get a treat. When I returned I we pleased to see 'significant progress'. I sent Simon out to do his work. Then I proceeded to do the one task I would never get a chance to do under the Rachel Rules to a happy marriage. The one thing that I've wanted to do for some time, this would fulfill the only New Years resolution I made back in January, I set out to make Pastrami.

So for the second time ever I fired up the smoker, took my brined brisket rubbed all the right seasonings on it and let the miracle happen. As I reflect, the balance of my day was spent doing very manly things. I had a couple of football games on, I tinkered around the house doing simple chores like sweeping the back patio, fixing screen doors, oiling hinges...all just menial tasks that kept me close to the smoker and my games. Sure, I was still dad; I made the kids lunch, put band aids on their cuts, and ran them to their friends houses. But really it was kind of a guilty pleasure day for me.

Well, all the games are over. The pastrami is in the fridge cooling til morning. This wacky and surreal day is almost over. Admittedly, doing all the things I want to do is not as cool as I thought it would be. We just made a final sweep through the house to make sure it's not just clean but 'Mom clean' as we want everything to be just right for her return tomorrow. We sure miss her, I sure miss her.

3 comments:

David said...

I guess when you're already nearly perfect you have to get creative with New Year's resolutions. Nice one.

Dan Hixon said...

How much did you make? (hint hint)

Rachel said...

You're the best.